An engine is, without a doubt, the soul and heart of a motorcycle, but without a suitable battery, it is not of much use. A battery should be able to provide enough energy required to ignite an engine, durable, robust enough to work well with all types of climates, and, service simplicity in case the battery is not sealed. You should buy the best motorcycle battery after some research only. Some other factors that you could consider include riding style, cost, warranty, and your motorcycle’s amperage requirements.
Why is it so important to buy the best motorcycle battery?
There are various options when it comes to motorcycle batteries; choices among amperage rating, size, and shape are given. You also get options among rechargeable, unsealed, and sealed batteries.
A sealed battery does not involve and maintenance, whereas a rechargeable battery will not require frequent replacement like any other standard device. There are various small things that require your attention before you actually invest in a battery.
The best motorcycle battery should fit perfectly into its compartment or bracket. The dimensions of the battery matter, because if the battery is small it might rattle and damage the motorcycle and create great rider discomfort. In the case of unsealed batteries, there is always a vent for extra acid. It should be taken to take that this vent hose always points away from the rider’s legs and other crucial components of the bike.
Look for the best motorcycle battery brand, but also consider its quality, strength, and durability.
Also, before purchasing, always check for the standard-issue battery of the motorcycle. A rechargeable battery is often expensive in comparison to any standard battery, so it is recommended that you verify from the manual whether your motorcycle is compatible with rechargeable batteries before you spend extra. Another tip to avoid uncalled damage is to never put an unsealed battery in place of a sealed one.
Things you need to consider
There are additional factors that you will have to consider before buying that battery that you think is the best motorcycle battery ever. Considering the motorcycle’s size and the weather in which you mostly ride, the cranking amp numbers or the cold-cranking amp given by a motorcycle battery is very crucial. The owner’s manual needs to be checked for finding out these required ratings and match them with the battery specifications you want to buy.
The cranking amp of a battery points towards the amps delivered by a battery in 30 seconds at 32oFahrenheit when 1.2 volts is maintained for each cell. And, the amp rating for cold-cranking is also the same but at 0oFahrenheit. If you are thinking about buying an after-market battery, do check its expiration date. If the battery is brand new, it should not have a manufacturing date of more than 6 months old.
Think about the following pointers carefully before making any decision.
- Riding Style: After regular extensive motorcycle rides, it will require a different type of battery than if the motorcycle is used occasionally only. If you take your bike for infrequent joy rides only, then it will require a more longer-lasting, powerful battery because such the best motorcycle battery will rarely require an alternator for revitalization.
- Price: When you are opting for an after-market product, you should know pricing will be subjective. The best motorcycle battery brand will have an even higher price; it all depends on the price a seller sets. The price demanded might be very different from the battery’s original retail cost. So, it is advised to confirm the retail price of that battery so that you can be sure that the cost offered is a fair value deal when compared.
- Power Rating: Mostly, full-size motorcycle batteries give an output of 12 volts. Some smaller motorcycles might not require more than a 6-volt battery. However, motorcycle requirements differ and batteries also have varying amp ratings. A dirt bike with a 125cc engine will require less power for all its electronics than a huge touring motorcycle. Choose the best motorcycle battery always. You should extra research or look into your owner’s manual for the appropriate requirements.
- Automatic Drain: The most used are the lead-acid batteries in motorcycles; one major concern in their case is that they discharge even when not in use. The regular drain range is between 0.5 and 1% of the total battery power.
If you are not a regular rider, you can use a trickle charger to evade an unforeseen dead battery situation. The trickle charger does not let the battery power deplete. Although, if you overcharge standard batteries, it will be equivalently harmful as letting these batteries die out. So, it is better to buy a rechargeable battery from the best motorcycle battery brand if you ride infrequently.
Making the final choice…
After you have gone through all the points stated above in this post and decided about the specifications you require, then choose the best motorcycle battery brand and buy the battery you need. I have compiled a list of the best batteries available.
Odyssey PC680 Battery
The Power Sports Batteries by Odyssey is manufactured to be rugged, constructed to handle the constant pounding of various territories. ODYSSEY batteries are tightly packed with lead plates, AGM non-spillable design protects from vibration and shock which destroys other batteries quickly. Unadulterated lead plates point towards more power, which is double the power and three more times battery life as compared to conventional batteries, with almost 400 cycles and 80% discharge depth. Batteries by ODYSSEY are ideal for applications of the entire power sports range, including Gyrocopter aircraft, ultralight aircraft, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, ATVs, and motorcycles.
- The lead plates used are completely pure and hence there is optimized recycling and more surface area
- Each valve has a cell for safety relief
- Light in weight, have a long-life as promised, do require proper attention tough
- They can be a little temperamental, you have to be very careful with chargers, use the correct one
- They cannot be left unattended for an extended period of time as compared to other batteries
- More suited as a motorcycle battery might not work as well with cars
Absorbed glass mat (AGM) design ensures there are no spills, corrosion-resistant, high connectivity, brass terminals are tin-plated, the terminal seal has high integrity which makes all the gases produced inside recycled there only. It recharges quickly and the battery design is sealed, making it one of the best motorcycle batteries.
Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
The Lithium Iron Phosphate battery line by Deltran Battery Tender is dedicated to starting engines and has replaced the lead-acid battery with gel cell, AGM, and flooded batteries in applications like Power Sport, dirt bikes, scooters, utility vehicles, lawnmowers, personal watercraft, ATVs, and motorcycles.
These batteries are 80% lighter and have 5 times more life than Lead-Acid batteries with an 80 percent discharge depth of more than 2000 deep cycles. These are the features of the best motorcycle battery.
- Extremely light in weight and very low self-discharge
- It comes with foam spacers so that the battery can easily fit the battery box of any size
- The battery holds a charge for a long and comes with great company service
- Does not have a very long life overall
- Should never be used with desulfation battery charging mode or/and peak voltage more than 14.8 Volt, serious damages might occur
This battery replaces the YIX30L-BS Yuasa Battery. It can be installed in any direction and has a Quad-terminal configuration. It is extremely light in weight, with only 3.75 pounds. Its replacement range for lead-acid batteries is 26-35Ah. The battery has a maximum charge rate of 10 Ampere and can be operated at a temperature ranging from 0 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
EBC CTX9BS 105CCA Motorcycle Battery
The European Battery Company is a relatively young battery manufacturer whose aim is to provide high-quality, standard, affordable replacement batteries. The EBC CTX9BS battery weighs 6.8 pounds and runs on 12 Volts. It is an AGM technology battery; hence it offers great starting power and longer life. The glass mat technology means there are super-thin fiberglass mats placed between the plates making the battery spill-proof as the acid is absorbed by them.
- The low price makes it a great replacement option
- Holds charge and work well with almost all-terrain motorcycles
- Does not require much maintenance
- Internal resistance is very high and the charge needs to be set below 12V
- A little heavy and huge compared to numerous low-weight new technology options out there
When you use this battery for the first time, you will not have to charge it first as it is factory activated and does not require any initial charging. AGM technology makes it completely spill-proof and leak-proof. It has an ABS case that is high impact, vibration-proof and shock-proof. It is the best motorcycle battery brand and this battery contains electrolytes with extremely low impurities.
Ballistic Performance EVO2 Battery for Motorcycles Batteries
Batteries by Ballistic Performance are modern and are manufactured by following all the new discoveries. The EVO2 is a 12volt battery which is about 10lb. lighter as compared to Stock Battery and also 80 percent smaller. The small size makes it easy to carry, install, or move around. For charging, the Ballistic optional charger can be used, which can be directly plugged on the battery’s top in the BMS port.
- Can be stored for few weeks without having to worry about discharging, hold charge pretty good
- It is water and impact-resistant
- Has double service life when compared to a lead-acid battery
- Could be the best motorcycle battery if it wasn’t this costly
- Works better with Power sports vehicles with 50-1800cc engines
The EVO2 battery has brass terminals that are hard-mounted to ease the installation process. These batteries have a great shelf life and might even require a trickle charger. They lose 10 percent of charge only over a static use of 1 year. Completely dry batteries can be placed in all directions. These batteries are recyclable and non-toxic, This 16 cell battery has been tested by professional racing teams and it has been conceptualized, developed, and manufactured in the US.
Yuasa YUAM7212A YTZ12S Battery
The YUAM7212A is a powerful battery by the Yuasa Company. It is a sealed, high-performance, maintenance-free battery with 12-volt output. It provides a power rating of 210 amps (cold-cranking) and 11amps/hour. As this battery is sealed, there are no spills because all extra acid is effectively soaked up by glass plates and separators. The YTZ12S battery by Yuasa is durable and is best for use with motorcycles. Many models of Honda motorcycles come with this battery as factory-installed.
- Battery arrives activated by the factory, completely filled and sealed
- Very low maintenance if used by a regular motorcycle rider
- Great for usage in cold weather conditions and huge touring motorcycles
- Cannot be left unused for long, discharges quick
- A little pricey for some people when durability is considered
This Yuasa battery is the best motorcycle battery by this manufacturer since it is a sealed battery, there is no need to add water, ever. The batteries are created with a lead-calcium advanced technology, which holds the specific gravity of the battery for thrice the duration of a conventional battery. I think this a great battery as it does not require much maintenance as compared with other batteries. This battery is known for its capabilities and high performance.
It is not very easy to find the correct combination of price, specifications, and personal requirements when it comes to a motorcycle battery. To ensure long-lasting and safe riding, match the specifications of the battery required and the battery you want to buy. Each best motorcycle battery has a little disadvantage and advantages of its own when viewed from the perspective of a rider. I have attempted to list the best batteries available. Hopefully, you will find the right match for your motorcycle. You are welcome to leave your valuable suggestions and comments below. And, if you find this post helpful, do share it with your friends and fellow motorcycle enthusiasts.